Tuesday, June 13, 2006


FleshPresser Elected To Office!!!



The Election Board of Lehigh County, acting as the General Primary Election Return Board for Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, having computed and canvassed the Returns of the Election held on May 16, 2006,

Does Certify That


FleshPresser

Was Duly Elected to the Office of:

Lehigh County Democratic Committee Person

For South Whitehall 4th District

In Testimony Whereof, I have set my hand
And Seal, this 5th day of June, 2006

Stacy J. Sterner, Chief Clerk
Lehigh County Board of Elections


At least that's what the document says that's framed above my desk this week. And the story behind it serves to reinforce a couple of life lessons - Never let it be said that your vote doesn't matter, for example.

Another one might be be careful what you wish for....

Here's the short version of the story. In May, we held our Primary elections here in Pennsylvania. I went and did my civic duty, to begin the process of kicking Rick Santorum out of office. When I got to the portion of the ballot for Democratic Committee, I noticed that there was no one running from our district. Being an activist, and hating the idea of any elected office going unfilled, I wrote myself in and submitted my ballot.

A few weeks later, I began receiving calls and letters from inidividuals asking for my support in their campaign to become Chair of the Democratic Committe. I thought this was strange, as the elections had obviously already taken place.

After putting two and two together, I asked one of the candidates on the phone, and he comfirmed what I had thought. No one else had written themselves in, and as a result, I won the election WITH A SINGLE VOTE.

As pleased as I was to be involved, I couldn't help also feeling a little sad and strange about the process.... People were so uninterested in the voting process that I had managed to sneak into an elected position with just one vote for myself. Not one other person in our district had the will, enthusiasm or interest to write themselves in, and the position was handed to me by default.

Still, better to have the position filled than to go unrepresented, and so represent, I shall!

This past week, I attended my first Democratic Committee meeting, pressing the flesh with some major political heavy hitters in our local area. I can't tell you how happy I was to be there. The meeting was held in a UAW union hall, and it had "grassroots" written all over it. The room was filled with old and young people alike, but everyone there was vitally interested in taking our country back, and in making a difference.

In a very small baby step, I was able to cross off another item on my "to do before I die" list - hold a publicly elected office. Who knows where this will lead? I'm pretty sure this will be my last write-in campaign, but for the time being, I'm thrilled to be able to play a grassroots role in taking our country back.

So, never let it be said that your single vote doesn't make a difference - when the time comes, get involved and VOTE!!!

Tags: , , ,

Posted by FleshPresser at 12:31 AM /

2 Comments

  • Blogger Princess Meow posted at 11:09 PM  
    THAT is FANTASTIC! CONGRATS!

  • Blogger Meghan posted at 12:58 AM  
    That's SO cool!!

    Today - Democratic Committee Person, tomorrow - President!!

    Hey... a girl can dream, right?

  • Post a Comment

    « Home