Sunday, March 05, 2006


Broken Back Predictions



Brokeback Mountain will win the Oscar for Best Picture tonight.

Surprise, surprise. Now, can we all just get on with our lives?

Can we NOT make this movie a referendum on the state of gay acceptance within our nation, and read a win to mean that America is officially gay, or read a loss to mean that America officially condemns homosexuality... yet again?

Can we STOP with all of the Brokeback Spoofs, please? Yes, I thought the first thirty or forty were funny, too. But do we have to pull every film out that the AFI has in stock and turn it into a Brokeback Spoof?

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Jon Stewart is the perfect person to host this year's Oscars, given all of the political overtones of the Awards this year.

I'm publishing these OSCAR picks this year against my better judegement. It's a tradition for me to fill out my OSCAR ballot prior to the Awards, and so I'll do it again this year. It feels sacriligious, though, to admit that I'm actually *bored* by the OSCARS this year.

For better or worse, here are my picks:

Best Picture - Brokeback Mountain
Best Director - Ang Lee
Best Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Best Actress - Felicity Huffman, Transamerica (I do this only to be contrary - if you're going to win any Oscar pools, you've got to bet against the grain on at least a few categories, and this one has potential)
Supporting Actress - Rachel Weisz, Constant Gardener
Supporting Actor - George Clooney, Syriana
Original Screenplay - Crash
Adapted Screenplay - Brokeback Mountain
Cinematography - Brokeback Mountain
Foreign Language Film - Tsotsi
Film Editing - Crash
Art Direction - Good Night and Good Luck
Costume Design - Memoirs of a Geisha
Original Score - Brokeback Mountain
Original Song - Travelin' Thru, Transamerica
Sound Editing - King Kong
Sound Mixing - Walk The Line
Visual Effects - King Kong
Make-up - The Chronicles of Narnia
Documentary Feature - March of the Penguins
Documentary Short - A Note of Triumph
Animated Feature - Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Live Action Short - Six Shooter
Animated Short - 9

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a nap before the Awards.

Tags: , , ,,

Posted by FleshPresser at 2:21 PM /

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home