Tuesday, May 30, 2006


I Wonder If THEY Know They're Conservative?


On the heels of The Dixie Chicks' new album, Taking The Long Way, poised to make it's debut at number one on the charts, having sold between 300,000 and 400,000 copies in its first week, The National Review has taken the time to define for all of us what makes a good conservative song.

The conservative magazine has compiled a list of what they believe to be the Top 50 conservative rock songs of all time. Go visit them if you want the full list, along with their out-of-context explanations. I'm not going to list them all here.

All I'm wondering is how some of these artists will respond to having penned "conservative rock songs." Among the so-called "right-wingin'-rockers":

#43 - Wonderful, by Everclear
#34 - Godzilla, by Blue Oyster Cult
#33 - You Can't Always Get What You Want, by The Rolling Stones
#31 - Small Town, by John Mellencamp
#23 - Brick, by Ben Folds Five
#18 - Cult of Personality, by Living Colour
#8 - Bodies, by The Sex Pistols
#6 - Gloria, by U2

Am I missing something here? Last time I checked, U2 and The Rolling Stones were not the epitome of conservatism? Isn't this the same Mick Jagger that sings on his latest album, "How come you're so wrong, my sweet neo-con?" Maybe they're confusing Bono with former Republican Rep. Sonny Bono - quite the "rocker" in his own right...ahem.

Go ahead and take a look at the full list, and let me know your thoughts.

In the coming days, as an antidote and counter-attack, we here at PTF will be compiling a list of the Top Liberal Country Songs Of All Time - so if you have songs you'd like to see on the list, let us know. Turn about is fair play, after all.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Posted by FleshPresser at 12:03 AM /

3 Comments

  • Blogger The Professor posted at 7:19 AM  
    Hey, I enjoyed their list, although I suspect intent should weigh more heavily in the assessment of the lyrics.

    They selected The Taxman by the Beatles, however, they Beatles were known liberals, and it could be that they were singing the praises of more taxation. Perhaps you should include that song on your top Liberal songs?

    As you compile the liberal songs, I have to ask what songs can/should make the grade. I would think it isn't enough to be "anti-Bush" since both Conservatism and Liberalism ar about ideas and ideals, rather than individuals sitting in elected office.

    And besides, neither Bush was ever considered a Conservative. At best they wre classified as "moderate" or perhaps more accurately "not liberal."

  • Blogger Kevin posted at 7:24 AM  
    Conservatives do not know how to handle rock music. I have a tough time picturing a conservative rocker. That sounds oxymoronic to me. Rockers usually are going up against the establishment. And to me, conservatives don't seem like rebels. Liberals are the rebellious ones. This list also seems weird cause their are groups that are against the Right and also very pacifistic or anti-Vietnam. I can only guess that this feeling (if the artists are still alive) has carried into today's world and that they are against the war in Iraq. Not surprisingly, NRO failed.

    I would like to compile the top 50 liberal rock songs of all time. There is a good chance that my list would look more like the top 50 anti-war tunes of all time though. But seeing that you are doing the country ones, if I get a chance than I might do a list of rock ones.

  • Blogger Eric V. Kirk posted at 6:19 PM  
    Already took a stab at it, though I think somebody with more knowledge of country could do a better job.

    http://redwoodreality.blogspot.com/

  • Post a Comment

    « Home