Monday, July 03, 2006


It's A Koizumi Kind Of Cool


I don't know what you think about Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, but in my book, he's OK. Any foreign head of state who is an obsessive Elvis fan gets kudos with me.

How cool is this guy?? All the places one might visit as a foreign dignitary, but he wants to be taken to Graceland. Striking a pose in the Jungle Room with 'Scilla and Lisa Marie. All I can say is TCB. This is a trip that Bill Clinton should have been making with Koizumi - how lame does Bush look with this guy? And did you see the pics of Rove and Snow trying to match the kitsch coolness of Koizumi? They come off as adolescent dorks.




Certainly, regarding a dinner at the White House, who better to have at your dinner than the Brian Setzer Orchestra? Again, very nice.

By the by... the Washington Post published the guest list for that dinner at the White House. Seems that the White House has been doing a lot of pissing and moaning about the New York Times lately, right? How their actions are treasonous, and their press credentials should be taken away?

Funny... The New York Times and the L.A. Times, in the midst of all of this scandal, managed to get themselves invited to the Koizumi dinner.

So, the issue with the New York Times isn't the same political conservative drumbeat as gay marriage and flag burning, right? Riiiiiiiiiight.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Posted by FleshPresser at 6:16 AM /

7 Comments

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:50 AM  
    A lot of people in Japan are lukewarm about Koizumi, but I definitely like him. He really is very cool as far as heads of state go. Too bad he's stepping down in September.

  • Blogger Targuman posted at 8:58 AM  
    Folks, this man calls his economic policy "Elvis Economics". If GWB had a similar policy I think you would rightly ridicule him. Perhaps it makes it easier to accept the silliness of a leader who is not our own?

  • Blogger FleshPresser posted at 1:18 PM  
    Chris - I'm clearly not talking about the man's politics or his economic policy or anything else even close here... I can't even think of what the Bush equivalent might be - because there's really no equivalent to Elvis. Elvis has the megastar thing happening, along with the conspiracy theories, and the cheese/kitsch value.... he is wholly unique. As such, his fans are so widespread and well.... "unique" as well.... please don't take this as any wholesale endorsement of the man's politics. Honestly, I know nothing of Japanese economics.

    I DO know this - If Bush had it in him to get up and sing with the Brian Setzer Orchestra, I may still largely disagree with his policies, but I might have just an ounce more respect for him.

  • Blogger Targuman posted at 7:01 PM  
    FP I think you took me more seriously than I intended. :-) That being said, I seem to recall some silly things that Bush has done that some might see as endearing.... OK. Maybe not. LOL

    Now what I need to do is brush up on PA politics...

  • Blogger FleshPresser posted at 7:39 PM  
    Perhaps like that time he choked on the pretzel? :)

    Why the brush-up on PA politics? You planning a move?

  • Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:54 PM  
    Now, what would you have said if Bush had done the same thing in a foreign country?

  • Blogger FleshPresser posted at 11:11 PM  
    With every bit of honesty in my heart, I can tell you that I would probably laugh... or at least smile for a moment.

    I'm not into vilifying people as individuals - I find Bush's actions in office reprehensible, but at least on some level, I do believe that he's following a course of action that he believes to be a right one. He is simply the most ill-equipped person this nation has ever seen to serve as President.

    It's nothing personal.

    If he, as an individual, had some passion for... I dunno... Jackie Chan and his movies, and got to travel and meet up with Mr. Chan in his home country and see where he was raised or something, and took some time to "strike a pose" or two... I don't think I would mind one bit.

    Now you answer me this... how likely is it that Bush would allow himself to be that human?

  • Post a Comment

    « Home