Friday, June 13, 2008


Tim Russert, 1950-2008 R.I.P.


I am blown away at the news of the death of Tim Russert today. He apparently died of a heart attack while at the Washington News Bureau of NBC, at the age of 58.

For political geeks like myself, I had a morning routine, and part of that routine entailed, whenever humanly possible, not getting up to do another damned thing on Sunday mornings until after Meet The Press was over.

For geeks such as myself, this is the equivilent of someone of the statue of Johnny Carson passing - even moreso. Not only will Russert's presence be missed every Sunday morning, but his presence will be missed... period. This isn't just a retirement from the show or from journalism. This is Russert - gone.

He was FAR too young to die, and had SO much insight left to ahre. In our world of 24-hour news, and alleged pundits popping up ad infinitum on cable talk shows, Russert's voice was one that was truly worth listening to and taking note. Russert had the intelligence, backbone, and forethought to conduct truly "meaningful" interviews with anyone who WAS anyone in the political field, and to synthesize and make that information useful and meaningful.

There is so much more that I could say about the man, but I'm simply stunned right now.

Perhaps I will root for the Buffalo Bills this year, despite my STRONG allegiance to the Washington Redskins, as a tribute to Tim Russert.

It will still be Sunday... but it just won't be the same.

Labels:


Posted by FleshPresser at 3:50 PM /

1 Comments

  • Blogger Princess Meow posted at 7:23 PM  
    I am equally saddened and shocked. You are right; it will never be the same. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

  • Post a Comment

    « Home