Wednesday, May 23, 2007


Ahead Of Our Time?


A few weeks ago, I was asked to appear on a Political Roundtable discussing the current state of Presidential Politics as we head toward 2008 - if you haven't caught the discussion on Radio Allegro, you should definitely check it out!

One of the lighter moments during our show was a discussion of possible theme songs for all of the candidates - I pointed out at that time that Hillary Clinton had been using Bachman Turner Overdrive's classic "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet", which I found very ironic, as it contains the lyrics:
He said that any love is good love
So I took what I could get, yes, I took what I could get...
Funny stuff, indeed.

Well, since then, my colleague over at Brilliant at Breakfast pointed out that Hillary is, in fact, looking for a NEW theme song. Check out the YouTube here, and if you haven't read Jill's fabulous blog, check out Brilliant at Breakfast.

We thought it was funny and left it at that. Obviously, so did a lot of YouTube people, who were more than happy to help with their suggestions.

But this past Sunday, Chris Matthews decided to pick up the ball (and OUR bit) and run with it, as well:
MATTHEWS: Well, before we go to break, a lighter moment here. Hillary Clinton is choosing her campaign song right now, she says, and she's asking
for our suggestion.

Senator HILLARY CLINTON: (From Web video) It's something we've been struggling with, debating, agonizing over for months. So now I'm turning to you, the American people. Here's the issue: What do you think our campaign song should be?

MATTHEWS: Her Web site lists 10 tunes to choose from. But rather buy into her multiple choice, we've gathered some tunes of our own with a bit more bite. For instance, this gets right to the Hillary's la difference in this campaign.

(Clip of Tom Jones' "She's a Lady")

MATTHEWS: Is that a piece of lint?

Or how about this one that hints at what she might do to her Republican rivals?

(Clip of Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walkin'")

MATTHEWS: I, of course, like this one that we're going to show right now, which plays up her biggest campaign asset.

(Clip of The Angels' "My Boyfriend's Back")

MATTHEWS: That song is so fraught with possible meanings. Katty Kay, do you have an idea for what will spruce up this campaign with the right lyrics and tune?

Ms. KAY: I would say that one that is not going to be is "Stand By Your Man."

MATTHEWS: Oh, gosh.

Ms. KAY: But perhaps how about "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"?

MATTHEWS: Huh.

Ms. MITCHELL: How about "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar"?

MATTHEWS: Oh, a little feminist front line action there. David?

Mr. BROOKS: I was starting with "Evita," then "Maneater."

Ms. MITCHELL: Oh!

Ms. KAY: Ooh!

Mr. BROOKS: But then I think she should go for just "Jesus Christ Superstar," just do the whole thing.

MATTHEWS: Oh, my God.

Bob, do you have a thought here?

Mr. WOODWARD: I think the person who suggested in the campaign that she do this is going to be fired by next week.

MATTHEWS: There was a grating aspect to this.
Well, I guess all is fair... we stole his "Tell Me Something I don't Know" bit for the end of our show, so we'll call it a journalistic exchange of sorts.

Nice to see Matthews looking to Radio Allegro for inspiration, though.

Posted by FleshPresser at 2:41 PM /

1 Comments

  • Blogger Ash posted at 2:30 PM  
    dying of laughter tim, just dying...

  • Post a Comment

    « Home