Saturday, January 21, 2006


POUNDING MY FLESH - Running and Training Update - January 21, 2006



WOO-HOO! Today was my first official outdoor run of 2006! Hell, it's the first time I've been on an outdoor run since probably some time last summer, thanks to some health problems I was going through.

Today was that perfect type of running day - sunny, mid-50s - it's the type of day that feels cold when you come outside with your running shorts and t-shirt, but after running for a while, you're thankful for it.

There's one caveat, of course. Running in the wind is NASTY. Let me re-phrase - Running AGAINST the wind is NASTY. When you get a good solid wall of wind blowing against you, it can turn even a small incline into a major piece of work. This, of course, makes me nervous about running in Chicago this fall.

Of course, when the wind is at your back... well, that's an entirely different story.

For the week I ran 13.3 miles, putting my total for January at 36.9 miles. I am typically a 12 minute/mile runner (LSD is my mantra - long, slow distance), and so one of my goals has been to pick up the pace a bit. Thinking toward the marathons - 26.2 miles - a 12 minute/mile would work out to somewhere around 5 1/2 hours... and that's just too damned long for me to be out running.

The good news is that my pace for this week has been 10:47, and it's 11:14 for the month, so we're heading in the right direction.

It's rare to get a day as nice as today in January, so I relished it. I don't know when my next road run will be, but I was thankful for today.

Interested in getting some exposure for your blog or online business? Consider sponsoring my 2006 running season.

Posted by FleshPresser at 5:52 PM /

1 Comments

  • Blogger Princess Meow posted at 1:20 PM  
    YAY YOU!!! Keep up the good work!

  • Post a Comment

    « Home