Monday, February 14, 2005


New York State of Mind, Part Deux


In addition to the show in Central Park, my wife and I were presented with the final two tickets for a Preview performance of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on Broadway - yes, it's another show based on a popular film. As a theatre artist focused primarily on the creation of new and original work, I can't say that there wasn't a certain side of me that felt a bit dirty about going to see the show - one only has to mention theatrical nightmares like Footloose or Saturday Night Fever to make me scream and run away. My wife, however, is a big musical theatre fan (not my favorite genre, by a longshot), and so I try to find opportunities that she will enjoy, but that I stand a chance at enjoying, as well.

And so we were seduced into going to see the show.

My guilty confession is that I fully enjoyed this production, and would encourage others to check it out, as well. In addition to capturing the fun of the movie on which it is based, the show is infused with a silly, tongue-in-cheek quality that constantly winks to the audience, without going too far overboard. What results is a show that is not terribly innovative or earth-shattering, but simply entirely enjoyable. And while I'd like nothing to break the air of artistic snobbery that I tend to carry around with me, the fact is that Norbert Leo Butz and Joanna Gleason are worth the price of admission alone. Sheri Rene Scott is wonderful (Norbert and Sheri last worked with each other on The Last Five Years off-Broadway), and her entrance to the show is one of the funnier moments I've experienced.

Speaking of the price, it was announced that upon the opening of the show (March 3rd), lottery tickets will be available for each performance - $26.25 for front-row seats. The best thing I can say about the show is that this cast truly appears to be enjoying itself, and for a price like that, I guarantee that you will be swept up in their fun with no regrets.

After the show, head to the Stage Door and maybe you can Press some Flesh with John Lithgow or Norbert, as well! :)

p.s. - now that I've cracked my snobbery, I might as well admit that I'm looking forward to Spamalot, as well. If nothing else, it's one of the better Broadway websites I've seen in a while! :)

Posted by FleshPresser at 1:31 PM /

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home